Statue: John Cockerill
Inaugurated in 1872, this is a close copy (authorised by the sculptor) of the monument erected in 1871 at Seraing, where Cockerill’s industrial empire was based. The four statues around the base of the pedestal represent the Glass-blower or Blacksmith (different sources give different descriptions), Mechanic, Coal-miner, Puddler. These were the first realistic statues of workers in Belgium. Four medallions are blank but were possibly intended to show relief profiles of some of Cockerill’s collaborators whose names are given on the plinth, one of who, Willem Rau, funded the monument.
Site: John Cockerill (1 memorial)
1050, place du Luxembourg